These BBQ Chicken Burgers are everything you could dream of and more! Just picture BBQ sauce, sweet caramelized red onions and melted cheddar cheese on top of a flavorful chicken patty!
So you should know I have become quite the procrastinator lately. These burgers were supposed to go up last week. But with all the birthdays going on lately, New Orleans last week, Memorial Day this week and then my sister in law’s wedding next week it’s a miracle I can keep straight what day it is.
I bring you these burgers for two of my favorite boys. With JG’s birthday last week and John’s birthday today I could have celebrated with cookies which they probably would have preferred but hopefully they’ll appreciate a birthday burger instead.
Before I made this burger John wasn’t sure about it because he didn’t think chicken burgers even sounded that pleasant. Once the burger was first placed on John’s Grayson’s high chair he looked at it probably thinking this is no burger and then picked up the onions and was even more confused.
Fast forward to their first bites – now hopefully when JG starts talking he will be able to tell me if his food is good. But he proceeded with a second bite which means he liked it. And John actually confirmed with words how much to his surprise he enjoyed it. The chicken burger is definitely not lackluster in flavor.
So fire up your grill for Memorial Day and give your guests a fun new burger to try!
- 1½ pounds ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for grilling if using indoor grill
- ½ large red onion cut into thin slices
- BBQ Sauce
- 4 Cheddar Cheese slices
- Transfer the chicken, Worcestershire sauce, and 5 spices to a bowl. Without overmixing the chicken, incorporate all the ingredients together evenly. Let it marinade for 30-1 hour in fridge.
- While the chicken is marinading, take a skillet and over medium heat melt the butter, add the olive oil and the onion slices. Spread the onions over the pan and let them start cooking. After about 5 minutes, turn heat to medium low and occasionally stir. They will cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Prepare indoor or outdoor grill over medium heat.
- Form the chicken mixture into four ½" thick patties. Grill burgers over medium heat until cooked through, 5-7 minutes per side. When the burgers are on their second side of cooking top with cheddar cheese slices to melt.
- To assemble the burger: Place chicken patty (cheese side up) on bottom bun, then add caramelized red onions, BBQ sauce (as little or much as you want), and a few pieces of cilantro.
Summer is just around the corner so I want to stretch out these next few weeks of spring as long as possible. So I was planning on posting this before Mother’s Day because it is the perfect salad for my mama and me. But with Cinco de Mayo a few days before it you know that holiday took[Read More…]
Today we are combining two of my favorite drinks just in time for your fiesta tonight. If you don’t know me by now one of the first things you should know is I’m obsessed with Mexican food, and second is Cinco de Mayo might be one of my favorite holidays. But also I love the month[Read More…]
When you can pair the right cheese with charcuterie it’s a match made in heaven. As you can tell lately it’s been shower central over here. This month I helped host 2 baby showers, a wedding shower, and even participated in a virtual baby shower. But now it’s time for a virtual wedding shower for Meriem[Read More…]
I blink and life is moving at a 100 miles a minute. Do you ever feel that way? Spring is almost halfway over. But either way farmers markets are back here in the south which makes me one happy mama. And it’s time to start our garden! I can’t believe 3 of the 12 herbs[Read More…]
Who doesn’t get excited about tossing a bunch of ingredients in a bowl with a smoky southwestern vinaigrette? When one of my coworkers asked for a vegetarian entree option a while back I remembered how few I have here. Even quite a few of my salads have meat in them. Obviously this is not a[Read More…]