My best friend from childhood came up to visit me last month and she wanted me to cook for her. I made a Rotini Pasta with a Mushroom Truffle Sauce, Spinach Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Toasted Walnuts and this bread. When she asked me what all I put in it, I realized I was like a robot and did everything automatically because it was second nature. Don’t worry I finally sat down to write out the measurements.
The best part about this side dish is you can change out the herbs for whatever fresh herbs you have on hand or which ever ones are your favorite. If you are in a bind and don’t have time to boil the garlic and have the premade minced garlic jar in your fridge, use that instead.
See how easy it is? Don’t you want a bite right now and maybe a yummy marinara sauce to dip it right into? I know I sure do now – too bad it is still breakfast time.
- 8-10 garlic cloves, skins still intact
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 loaf of Italian bread, split
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs (use your favorite herbs - I use tarragon, parsley, and oregano)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place garlic cloves with skin on in a saucepan of simmering water. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the garlic from the water and squeeze the garlic from skins. Mash into a paste with fork. Add softened butter, cheese, and herbs. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Slather on bread. Turn on broiler and toast bread in oven for 3-4 minutes. Remove and slice into pieces.