All the flavors of a french onion soup piled into a grilled cheese – Gruyere, caramelized onions, bread, wine and fresh thyme.
I swear this month always sneaks up on me and I have nothing to show for it. I probably consume three of four “fancy” (as my husband & his friends call them) grilled cheese sandwiches a month. Do I write down the recipe, retest and take pictures? No I do not.
But this time I did! I love the flavor of Gruyere because it is a smooth, sharp cheese and pair it with sweet caramelized onions and it’s the perfect combination!
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ medium yellow onion (1/2 c.) thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- ⅛ cup white wine
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese, shredded (or 2 thin slices)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sugar to pan. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Increase heat to medium. Add in thyme and cook for about 1 minute. Pour in wine and stir until most of wine has cooked off.
- To assemble sandwich, place ½ of cheese on one slice of bread, followed by caramelized onions, top with remaining cheese and other slice of bread.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter on skillet or panini press. Add sandwich and cook until lightly browned on one side and flip or until panini press is ready.
And here are some of my other favorite grilled cheese sandwiches I have consumed this month from other food bloggers.
First up is a Loaded Baked Potato Grilled Cheese that I found while spending hours…I mean minutes on Pinterest. I had a hard time finding potato bread until I went to the farmer’s market – but this bread is a must!
Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread and Provolone Grilled Cheese, Foodiecrush – this is one of my favorite food blogs. The reason this is one of my favorite grilled cheese sandwiches is because of the fig spread which is my favorite thing to have on a cheese board.
One of the last grilled cheese recipes that I make on regular basis is a little more special to me. Remember when I told yall a year ago I got to recipe test for the Panini Happy Cookbook?! Well I tested this Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese which was a hit!
I can’t even begin to describe the number of grilled cheese sandwiches that are on my list to make..but just for starters I want to make:
BBQ Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions Grilled Cheese
Southern Grilled Cheese – Fried Green Tomatoes, Bacon, and Pimento Grilled Cheese
Menu of the WeekFour Roses Honey BBQ Quail with Roasted Vegetables Salmon with Capers & Dill with Creamy Parmesan Zucchini Spread on French Bread Veggie Burritos with Spanish Potato Croquettes Dessert: Lemon Basil Olive Oil Cake