Love is in the air.
It’s Valentine’s Day next week yall in case you have forgotten. Now even though John and I don’t really celebrate it -occasionally we decide to put the kids down early and a have nice fancy meal to ourselves. This could include mushroom Risotto or Creamy Madeira Mushrooms and Port Wine Filet Mignon. I know you are thinking okay great where are those recipes?
But if you also visit here often you know the way to my guy’s heart is through breakfast. Both guys technically. So if your guy is like mine you can him over with this Maple Bacon Gravy.
When John and I got married we took a trip to this hunting lodge. And while I am not a hunter – John also knows he can win me over with some food. So while he hunted I got to kick back and relax and talk a bunch with the amazing chef there. One of the dishes he made for us one morning was Maple Bacon Gravy.
Now in the South most people like their gravy with sausage and more pepper. So be fair warned this is a little more on the sweet side. But you can also cut the maple syrup in half if you so desire (but I recommend trying it this way first). And what is gravy without homemade buttermilk biscuits? Even though I’m a Southern girl I had never made gravy or biscuits from scratch until I married John.
So instead of spending oodles of money on your honey (like my rhyme?) surprise your loved one with breakfast in bed with some Biscuits and Maple Bacon Gravy.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (set aside), reserve bacon grease in pan
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1½ tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat a large frying pan over medium high heat with reserved bacon grease.
- Add vegetable oil and once it is heated within the bacon grease add flour. Stir to fully incorporate. Add in salt and pepper.
- Gradually add milk while continuously stirring. Then add in chicken stock 1 cup at a time while stirring. Whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in maple syrup