A copycat recipe for Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup which is for my mama on Mother’s day!
It’s the weekend! Yay! I am normally very excited about the weekend but since I have been staying at home waiting on our little man to get here every day is a weekend to me! Aren’t you jealous?
We have already started the weekend off on the right note though. We watched the draft last night and Auburn had two players go in the first round. First Friday has kicked off – meaning food truck extravaganza. The Pacers play tonight and there are quite a few new movies out that I want to see.
You got any plans?
I had never had this soup until my mama said how much she enjoyed it (probably because when I go to Olive Garden I like to get something over 500 calories like Fettuccine Alfredo or Stuffed Chicken Marsala). When people tell me how much they love a dish – I hear the words hey can you figure out how to make this? Whether they want me to or not – this is what I like to call “food blogger problems.”
But with Mother’s Day this Sunday and twiddling my thumbs until I myself become a mama I thought I’d make this for my sweet mama.
One of the things I love about this dish is the variety of flavors. You have a little heat from the Italian sausage, the soft potatoes, the hearty kale, and the creamy broth. Enjoy!
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium white onion, diced (3/4 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled & cubed into bite size pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon pieces and cook until brown and crispy. Remove to paper towel lined plate.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a stockpot over medium heat, melt butter and add onion. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for about 30 seconds.
- Turn heat to medium high and add potatoes and cover with chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add kale and sausage and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream.
- Garnish with bacon and Parmesan cheese.
Menu of the WeekBarcelona Burgers with Queso Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork with Baked Beans and Coleslaw Cuban Quailwith Swiss Chard