One of the things John wanted when we first got married was a waffle maker, so I got one. I mean I would never turn down another kitchen toy! But we didn’t use it as much as he thought we would. When in reality he wanted to get it so I could make him waffles.
But we all know I rarely get up on Saturday or Sunday and want to cook. I am more likely to do so when I get back from the farmer’s market and John is still in bed. Which is exactly what I did a few weekends ago.
I pulled out the ol’ waffle maker and fired her up! Except I was really craving a savory breakfast (surprise surprise) instead of something too sweet so I went to thinking about what I could add to my waffle batter. We had applewood smoked bacon from Goose, some shredded cheddar cheese, and some chives from our garden. Perfect savory combination with a little sweet from the syrup, or a lot of a sweet if you add as much syrup as John does.
Bacon Cheddar Chive Waffles
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 5 slices cooked bacon cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Waffle mix + ingredients needed for this
- Prepare waffle mix as directed according to package.
- Add in bacon, cheese, and chives. Stir until fully mixed.
- Add batter to a prepared waffle maker. Cook as directed.
- Serve with maple syrup or gravy.
They were so good that John requested them for a Wednesday night dinner with some open faced egg scramble, maple sausage and grits cakes (all pictured above).
Menu for the Week
Baked Spaghetti & Caprese Tart
Mexican Pie & Spanish Croquettes
Stuffed Bell Peppers & Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Dessert: Rhubarb & Strawberry Pie