These BBQ Chicken Burgers are everything you could dream of and more! Just picture BBQ sauce, sweet caramelized red onions and melted cheddar cheese on top of a flavorful chicken patty!
So you should know I have become quite the procrastinator lately. These burgers were supposed to go up last week. But with all the birthdays going on lately, New Orleans last week, Memorial Day this week and then my sister in law’s wedding next week it’s a miracle I can keep straight what day it is.
I bring you these burgers for two of my favorite boys. With JG’s birthday last week and John’s birthday today I could have celebrated with cookies which they probably would have preferred but hopefully they’ll appreciate a birthday burger instead.
Before I made this burger John wasn’t sure about it because he didn’t think chicken burgers even sounded that pleasant. Once the burger was first placed on John’s Grayson’s high chair he looked at it probably thinking this is no burger and then picked up the onions and was even more confused.
Fast forward to their first bites – now hopefully when JG starts talking he will be able to tell me if his food is good. But he proceeded with a second bite which means he liked it. And John actually confirmed with words how much to his surprise he enjoyed it. The chicken burger is definitely not lackluster in flavor.
So fire up your grill for Memorial Day and give your guests a fun new burger to try!
BBQ Chicken Burger
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for grilling if using indoor grill
- 1/2 large red onion cut into thin slices
- BBQ Sauce
- 4 Cheddar Cheese slices
- Transfer the chicken, Worcestershire sauce, and 5 spices to a bowl. Without overmixing the chicken, incorporate all the ingredients together evenly. Let it marinade for 30-1 hour in fridge.
- While the chicken is marinading, take a skillet and over medium heat melt the butter, add the olive oil and the onion slices. Spread the onions over the pan and let them start cooking. After about 5 minutes, turn heat to medium low and occasionally stir. They will cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Prepare indoor or outdoor grill over medium heat.
- Form the chicken mixture into four 1/2" thick patties. Grill burgers over medium heat until cooked through, 5-7 minutes per side. When the burgers are on their second side of cooking top with cheddar cheese slices to melt.
- To assemble the burger: Place chicken patty (cheese side up) on bottom bun, then add caramelized red onions, BBQ sauce (as little or much as you want), and a few pieces of cilantro.