I know bikini season is upon us but this is one dish you will consider going to the gym a few extra times – it’s creamy, salty, rich and even has beer in it!
Some of you know April has been designated Beer Month by Sophia at NY Foodgasm. I have participated in this for the past couple of years creating some amazing dishes like Beer Braised Short Ribs, Beer Battered Onion Rings – the list really could go on. But I do think it’s quite funny that this year and last year’s Beer Month I have been pregnant. Go figure! Luckily that does not stop me from cooking with the beer – only drinking it. So John gets the leftover beer once I am done. Lucky dog!
Nothing is better than adding some salty meat to mac and cheese oh wait now there is when you add beer.
I used Abita – Andygator which definitely has a distinct taste. It has a dry finish with a little sweet flavor gives the mac and cheese the punch it deserves. It doesn’t have a subtle flavor I warn you but it cuts the salty bacon and the creamy cheeses perfectly.
Now I love leftovers -especially now that I have an 11 month old and one on the way. But for some reason any time I make mac and cheese and have it the next day it seems the cheese sauce is no where to be found. Well that is definitely not the case for this recipe. The cheese sauce in this beer bacon mac and cheese folds into every nook and cranny of the macaroni.
I chose American cheese and Fontiago cheese for a couple of reasons. They both are great melting cheeses, have a creaminess to them and I thought the mixture of fontina + asiago would bring the nuttiness that would pair well with a beer. So go on get a good workout before this meal, indulge in a dish you may not quit eating and then let’s be honest you might want to get in one more workout afterwards.
This dish is not for the faint at heart.
Beer Bacon Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces of sliced bacon cooked and diced into bite size pieces
- 1 pound macaroni pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces of beer
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1 cup shredded Fontiago cheese or a mixture of Fontina and Asiago - if you can't find it already blended
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Then add in pasta and cook as directed.
- Heat saucepan over medium high heat and add butter. Once melted add in flour. Continuously whisk until it becomes golden in color - about 2 minutes.
- Add beer and milk into the saucepan slowly. Turn down the heat and allow to cook for about 6-8 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add in cheese about 1/2 cup at a time. Once fully melted then add in next batch of cheese. Then add in the bacon and stir.
- Put cooked macaroni into a dish and pour the cheese sauce over and stir until fully incorporated.
Don’t miss out on all the other Beer Month recipes!
Triple IPA Chili Verde with Pork from NY FoodGasm
Beer Braised Pork Carnitas from girlchef
Beer Mimosa with Raspberries from Who Needs a Cape?
Iron Skillet Chicken + Carrots with Toasted Lager Mustard Sauce from Big Flavors From a Tiny Kitchen
Beer Braised Chicken Stew from Bowl Me Over
Beer Cheddar Fondue from Food Lust People Love
Menu for the Week