How are you ringing in the new year?
Well if you are in my family – right now we are bringing in the new year with germs. Yes we are sick. AGAIN. And this weather going from 67 degrees at the end of December to 33 degrees every other day does not seem to be helping.
But if you are like most people the new year will start off with champagne or black eyed peas. If you aren’t from the south then you might be looking at me with a perplexed look on your face wondering why black eyed peas? Well it’s considered to be a lucky food and to bring prosperity in the new year. So I figured why not combine black eyed peas and another southern staple of some collard greens? And let’s not forget the biscuits to go with it!
I’m keeping this short and sweet today because if you are anything like our family you are still trying to make your way through all the piles of new gifts you got. I am hoping to be consistent for yall in the new year still doing Thursday recipe posts and back to Monday weekly menus. – I should say next month to be specific. It’s my busiest time of year for work (HR) so hopefully I’ll be back soon! If I do go radio silence for a little while you now know why.
But until then Happy New Year from my family to yours!
Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 1/2 cups roughly chopped collard greens
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 - 15 oz. cans of black eyed pea rinsed and drained
- 1 - 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups cup water
- In large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat and saute onions for six minutes until soft.
- Add collard greens and spices. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in black eyed peas, tomato sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to cook for 10 minutes.