Three words for you…SUMMER IS HERE! Okay so I know summer has been here for a few weeks but that’s beside the point. It is here. When I think of summer the first and pretty much only thing I think of is the beach and eating amazing food at the beach. So what did we decide to do to welcome the summer? Have a southern summer feast at our house. Luckily, the farmers market had some great things to kick it off – stuff for my veggie juices, okra hush puppies (recipe coming soon), and green tomatoes
First we made these fried green tomatoes which were a perfect compliment to the crab cakes.
One of our friends from Fairhope had them once and gave them the official seal of approval. Thanks William! But I love the crispiness on the outside of the crab cakes and then the tender lump crab meat on the inside. Now all I need to do is perfect my remoulade!
I think the next time I make these two dishes I will put them on a hoagie roll, add some bacon, provolone cheese, lettuce, and remoulade sauce.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 shake of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Cooking oil
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well incorporated.
- Divide into 8 patties, place in fridge for 1-3 hours.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Work in two batches. Add the crab cakes and fry for 2 minutes on each side until browned. Drain on paper towels. Add a little more oil to pan if necessary. Serve with remoulade.
Menu for the Week
Well….there is no menu we are neck deep in boxes and sadly I cannot cook this week because we are moving so come Friday afternoon I will be back in action and in a new kitchen!!