BBQ + Bourbon + Chicken = one pizza you don’t want to miss!
Pictures updated June 2015
I used to make pizzas quite frequently at our house. Most of the time they aren’t your cookie cutter Four Cheese pizzas, but rather Mediterranean Pizzas with hummus as the sauce or Kale Pesto as another base.
But recently all I was craving was the classic BBQ Chicken Pizza. But as a little surprise and to turn up the volume of flavor even more, I added a little bit of Knob Creek Bourbon to the sauce. Of course, that immediately got John’s attention. So take a few minutes to prepare this pizza that is packed full of flavor, crack open a beer, and press play on your DVR.
Creamy BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup + 4 tablespoons BBQ sauce divided
- 1 tablespoon bourbon - optional
- 1 chicken breast half cooked and shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro for garnish
- Pizza dough
- Preheat oven to desired temperature (according to package directions).
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Whisk in flour until it forms a somewhat smooth consistency about 30 seconds. Whisk in cream until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Add in 1/2 c. BBQ sauce and bourbon. Keep warm on low heat - letting it simmer while assembling pizza.
- Mix together the reserved 4 Tbsp. BBQ sauce with the shredded chicken in a bowl.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet or pizza stone. Spoon BBQ sauce from sauce pan over pizza dough until fully covered leaving about 1/2 inch border for the crust. Top with shredded chicken, cheeses, and red onions.
- Baking time depends on package directions.
- Once cooked, garnish with cilantro. And as always eat it with some ranch dressing and Enjoy!