Who’s ready for a food coma?!
That’s where normally if this were a text I’d find the girl with both hands in the air because I am so excited about all the food. So what are you in charge of on Thursday? I’m in charge of a glazed ham, deviled eggs, and sweet potato biscuits. I also did a little trial run for some new dishes this year: a sausage, apple, cranberry dressing and mini pecan pies.
So most people will have mashed potatoes or a sweet potato side right? But I think winter squash sometimes gets forgotten about on this holiday. Last year I was on a big roasted butternut squash kick, so I always made sure I’d have some for leftovers.
I randomly decided to mash it one day when my bestie gave me the idea. But knew it needed something else. So where as most “mashed” dishes call for lots of butter I thought brown butter would add a little more pizzazz. And what is brown butter without some sage? Oh and you know some goat cheese. Because 90% of my dishes have cheese in them.
So add this to your list for Thursday you won’t regret it. Oh and don’t forget to put on your best stretchy pants – at least I won’t!
Mashed Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese and Brown Butter
- 2 pounds cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add in butternut squash and cook until fork tender (10-15 minutes).
- While cooking melt butter in small skillet over medium high heat. Once it starts to brown reduce heat to medium. Stir butter and let it swirl and continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain butternut squash and put into large bowl. Mash together.
- Then add whole milk and goat cheese. Once fully combined mix in dried sage and brown butter.
- Serve immediately.