Love is in the air and Valentine’s Day is right around the corner.
So I guess the big question is how are you going to celebrate? John and I personally have never really cared to celebrate. With our anniversary in a little less than a month away we just hold off. And I tell him besides our anniversary I’d rather get flowers randomly throughout the year as a surprise anyways.
But I guess whether it’s for Valentine’s Day, an anniversary or any special occasion I have just the meal for you. Most of the time we love to cook a good Filet Mignon topped with either a Gorgonzola cream sauce or a port wine reduction. And as a side have some Creamy Madeira Mushrooms. Option #2 is always this Mushroom Ravioli. I never said the meal was healthy…
Like with every good pasta dish the sauce is everything! I have to admit I want to like a good tomato sauce over a cream/cheese based sauce because I know it’s healthier. But to be honest I go towards the latter every time I see that on a menu. What about you?
And the sauce for this Mushroom Ravioli is no different. It is die for – I mean lick the bowl kind of good. You saute some mushrooms and then caramelize some onions. Follow it up with some cream and Parmesan cheese and voila the perfect meal! Happy Valentine’s Day yall!
- 16 ounces mushroom ravioli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Madeira
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Thyme and additional Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the ravioli according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet set over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until soft and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add Madeira and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in cream and Parmesan cheese and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally so cheese does not clump and stick to bottom of pan.
- Add cooked ravioli to sauce.
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and thyme.