When I was in middle school and didn’t really care about football…I know you are thinking wait what?! There was a time this actually took place? But yes true story – on Super Bowl Sunday we would all go to youth group for what they called “Souper Bowl Sunday”. We would all bring canned goods and give them to our local food pantry and then head to church for some fellowship, a bowl of chili, and watch the game together.
By the way did your team win? With my Falcons and Colts out, I had to choose between two teams that I didn’t have any tie to. Now I might be the only person in Indy that is not a Peyton Manning fan (I prefer Eli…shhh don’t tell anyone they might egg my house or something).
But I decided to cheer for the Seahawks, why you may ask? Ok let me preface this with I have a vast amount of knowledge (for most girls) when it comes to players and recruits etc. but when I didn’t have any ties to any players this year I chose the Seahawks because their colors are navy blue and lime green…..Hey crazier things have happened. Glad I picked them too because they won!
So to wind up Super Bowl week I wanted to share this Creamy Asparagus Soup. I added some sun dried tomatoes for another depth of flavor and a pop of color. And don’t forget that most soups call for the addition of a grilled cheese to go along side of it or at least some homemade croutons!
- 1 pound asparagus about 1 bunch
- 2 tablespoons. butter
- 1/3 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 quart 16 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup cream
- Trim woody parts/ends of asparagus. Cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Melt butter in large stockpot. Add onion, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add asparagus and salt, simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer broth, vegetables, and sun dried tomatoes to a blender to liquefy. (See notes below about blending hot liquids.) Or use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Return soup back to pot, add heavy cream. Stir until blended, heat through.
- Garnish with a few extra sun dried tomatoes and homemade croutons
Menu for the WeekSmoked Cheddar BBQ Bacon Burger with Oven Baked Sweet Potato Wedges Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken with Brussels Sprouts Fried Pheasant with Butternut Squash Casserole