Summer is just around the corner so I want to stretch out these next few weeks of spring as long as possible.
So I was planning on posting this before Mother’s Day because it is the perfect salad for my mama and me. But with Cinco de Mayo a few days before it you know that holiday took precedence. And last week this was supposed to go out but there’s this thing called life that keeps getting in the way of me cooking and blogging lately.
This salad has some great spring vegetables for mama and then some meat and cheese for me! And as you can tell from our menu last week we have been trying to go meatless once a week. Now this salad does have meat but with the dressing being a light vinaigrette it doesn’t make it feel so heavy like some can. The vinaigrette is one of my favorites: olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and honey.
The addition of the prosciutto adds a subtle salty flavor but it’s just enough to satisfy th0se meat lovers (cough John and my dad) in your family. And the cheese well that might be my favorite part besides the white asparagus. How many of you have had burrata cheese? The outside is mozzarella but once you tear into it the center is mozzarella soaked in cream – think of the texture like ricotta. Then put it on a salad and it just melts all over it!
And if you find yourself at the local farmer’s market and would love to add some more spring vegetables to it some morel mushrooms or ramps would also make a wonderful addition.
Spring Salad with Asparagus, Peas, Prosciutto and Burrata
- 1/4 pound White Asparagus cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 oz. Spring Mix
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2 oz. Prosciutto
- 1 ball of Burrata Cheese
- 2 tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- In a skillet add olive oil and saute asparagus until slightly tender, about 5-6 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Remove burrata from container and let it drain on paper towel.
- Spread spring mix onto a platter and later with the other ingredients.
- Whisk ingredients of dressing in a small bowl then drizzle on salad.