This is a dish I definitely remember my mama making growing up. I rarely helped in the kitchen which I now kick myself for, but I do remember helping her with stuffed bell peppers. After she would cook the beef and rice, she would pour it in a large ziploc bag and add in the rest of the ingredients. She would seal the bag and I could shake it and mix it all up. Or at least this is how I remember it…
I took most of the same ingredients she used but added a little kick with the red pepper flakes and to add another layer of flavor I added some sauteed swiss chard. Not to mention it makes it a little healthier.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 onion 3/4 cup diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4-5 bell peppers
- 1 cup swiss chard chopped into bite size pieces (stems included)
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Cut thin slice from stem ends to remove each top. Remove seeds and membranes. In large dutch oven, place bell peppers and enough water to cover them. Cover with lid and heat to boiling. After boiling for 8 minutes, remove peppers and let them drain.
- While peppers are cooking, brown ground beef for 6-8 minutes over medium heat. Drain fat from pan and remove beef.
- Add a little olive oil to the pan and add the onion and swiss chard. Saute for 6-7 minutes or until greens are wilted. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the beef and other ingredients (except the bell peppers & cheese) to the pan. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in cheese. Scoop the mixture into each pepper. Stand up right in the greased baking dish. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.