Ever want to recreate a dish? Or put a healthy spin on an old classic? Well that is what I have done!
Pictures updated August 2015
Your traditional shepherd’s pie consists of ground beef, vegetables, cheese and mashed potatoes. I decided to make it a little healthier by substituting the beef with ground turkey, take out the cheese (shocker I know) and use sweet potatoes instead of Yukon potatoes. What do you think?
I was a little apprehensive at first with thinking ground turkey could cut it – but it is truly enhanced by just the small additions of the spices, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste.
And I always have frozen vegetables on hand. It is not only a great way to save money but if you are spending a lot more time on an entree then you can toss so veggies next to it and call it a day!
Do you have a favorite dish to recreate?
Sweet Potato and Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables I used peas and carrots
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Fresh Rosemary chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In skillet cook turkey and onion over medium high heat. Cook until turkey is browned, about 12 minutes.
- While cooking, add sweet potatoes to a stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Add in frozen vegetables, stock, Worcestershire, thyme, garlic and tomato paste to turkey mixture. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain sweet potatoes. Gradually add in milk and butter. Use a potato masher to break up potatoes and turn it into a mash. .
- In greased pie dish, add vegetables and turkey. Top with sweet potatoes. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with rosemary.
Menu for the Week
Pork Belly Sandwiches with Pasta Salad
Dessert: Champagne and Sprinkles Cupcakes