So are you running around today getting stuff for Thursday?
Or are you the planner who has already been to the store, prepped everything and have your feet kicked up watching a movie? Either way I sure hope you have some good dishes picked out like this one.
But do you ever plan what to do with all the leftovers? And I’m not talking about a boring sandwich. Well I did have one with an herb mayo, onion rings turkey and cheese once so that was worth it. But how about something different?
So I decided to take my favorite pot pie recipe and switch out the chicken for turkey and made it into a soup. And what would a Hall Nesting recipe be without a little extra cheese? But not as much cheese as those Scalloped Gruyere Sweet Potatoes that better be on your table this week.
I’ll keep it simple and sweet though because I know you have a lot preparation to do so go ahead make your list and add these ingredients to it. Because you don’t want to miss out on making this Friday. Trust me!
Turkey Pot Pie Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 4-5 carrots peeled and chopped about 3/4 cup
- 1 medium yellow onion diced about 1 cup
- 1 - 15 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 cups roughly chopped turkey
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pie crust let it come to room temp/sit out according to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large stockpot and then add olive oil. Add carrots and onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While it's cooking, unroll pie crust. Use a cookie cutter to cut shapes out - this will become topping for soup. Place onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Once done set aside.
- Turn heat to low and stir in turkey and peas.
- In a saucepan, mix remaining 4 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a boil whisking constantly to get out lumps. Remove from heat and stir in cream and cheese.
- Pour into soup and stir until fully incorporated.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with pie crust cut outs.